- Learn and practice discussions and debates about controversial topics. Themes include health, ethics, and technology.
- Introduce the future perfect and future perfect progressive tenses.
- Review the perfect tenses and all 12 verb tenses.
- Introduce embedded questionsand direct and reported speech.
- Introduce the passive causative and the subjunctive.
The following list is a suggested order for lessons at the high‑intermediate to advanced level. These materials are useful for students who are comfortable talking about current events and are ready for discussing more controversial topics.
You do not need to follow this exact order or use all of these lessons. This is just a guideline, and you can adapt the order and content based on your students’ needs and the length of your course.
Choose additional or alternative lessons from the suggested sections below (under the More Content heading). Use the level filter marked High Int – Adv or Adv when looking for other materials to teach at this level.
Some of the suggested lessons have digital tasks so that you can teach your students online or assign digital homework. If you need help using the digital platform, visit our Help Docs.
If you are only able to teach online at this time and you want to use a lesson that is currently only available as a PDF, you can download the Student PDF and email it to your student(s) or you can open it on a shared screen while you teach an online lesson.
- Discussion Starters: The Opioid Crisis
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Future Perfect
- Discussion Starters: Medical Tourism
- Discussion Starters: Surrogacy
- Writing in English: How to Write Persuasively
- Discussion Starters: Human Genetic Engineering
- Mini-Debates: Online Privacy
- Mini-Debates: Net Neutrality
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Future Perfect Progressive
- Mini-Debates: Gene Patenting
- Mini-Debates: Vaccinations
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Verb Tense Review 2
- Writing in English: How to Compare & Contrast
- Discussion Starters: Solitary Confinement
- Discussion Starters: Police Body Cameras
- Mini-Debates: The Death Penalty
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Embedded Questions
- Discussion Starters: Overfishing
- Discussion Starters: Trophy Hunting
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Direct & Reported Speech
- Writing in English: How to Paraphrase
- Historic Events: The Migrant Children Crisis
- Mini-Debates: Advertising to Children
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Passive Causative
- Reading in English: Identifying Points of View
- Writing in English: How to Cite a Source
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Subjunctive
- Writing in English: How to Write a Blog Post