- Learn and practice discussions and debates about globally relevant topics. Themes include history, environmental science, technology, and emergencies.
- Introduce verb collocations and phrasal verbs.
- Learn and practice using the passive voice.
- Introduce causative verbs.
- Begin writing essays and longer personal responses.
The following list is a suggested order for lessons at the intermediate to high‑intermediate level. These materials are useful for students who are comfortable using the four main English skills at an intermediate level. Many students will remain at this level for a long time.
You do not need to follow this exact order or use all of these lessons. This is just a guideline, and you can adapt the order and content based on your students’ needs and the length of your course.
You can choose additional or alternative lessons from the suggested sections below (under the More Content heading). Use the level filter marked Int – High Int when looking for other materials to teach at this level.
Some of the suggested lessons have digital tasks so that you can teach your students online or assign digital homework. If you need help using the digital platform, visit our Help Docs.
If you are only able to teach online at this time and you want to use a lesson that is currently only available as a PDF, you can download the Student PDF and email it to your student(s) or you can open it on a shared screen while you teach an online lesson.
- Historic Events: The Thai Cave Rescue
- Writing in English: How to Write an Introductory Paragraph
- Everyday Dialogues: Calling 911
- Functional English: Handling a Medial Emergency
- Historic Events: World War II
- Writing in English: How to Write Body Paragraphs
- Functional English: Making a Complaint
- Historic Events: The Great Depression
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Passive
- Historic Events: Apollo 11
- Writing in English: How to Write a Concluding Paragraph
- Famous People: 9/11 Heroes
- Historic Events: The Underground Railroad
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Third Conditional
- Famous Things: Tornadoes
- Discussion Starters: Climate Change
- Discussion Starters: Deforestation
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Verb Collocations
- Famous Places: Amazon Rainforest
- Famous Things: Wind Farms
- Famous Things: Solar Eclipses
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Phrasal Verbs
- Famous People: Stephen Hawking
- Discussion Starters: Talking to Technology
- Famous People: Hedy Lamarr
- Grammar Practice Worksheets: Causative Verbs
- Discussion Starters: Cruise Ships
- Discussion Starters: Distracted Driving