- Learn and/or review the English alphabet and numbers 1–100.
- Learn and/or review introductory English vocabulary. Themes include the body, time, housing, transportation, and weather.
- Learn and practice the Be verb and the simple present tense.
- Learn how to ask and answer very basic questions.
The following list is a suggested order of lessons at the pre‑beginner level. These materials are useful for students who are unfamiliar with the English alphabet or who have never taken any English language classes.
You do not need to follow this order exactly or use all of these lessons. This list is just a guideline for teachers who need help getting started. You can adapt the order and content based on your students’ needs and the length of your course.
You can choose additional or alternative lessons from the suggested sections below (under the More Content heading). Use the level filters marked Lit and Pre Beg when looking for other materials to teach at this level.
Most teachers will also be relying heavily on flashcards from the Flashcard Library at this level.
Some of the suggested lessons have digital tasks so that you can teach your students online or assign digital homework. If you need help using the digital platform, visit our Help Docs.
If you are only able to teach online at this time and you want to use a lesson that is currently only available as a PDF, you can download the Student PDF and email it to your student(s) or you can open it on a shared screen while you teach an online lesson.
- Phonics & Pronunciation: Lowercase Letters
- Phonics & Pronunciation: Capital Letters
- English Basics: The Letters A–Z or review individual letters
- Word Bank: Body Parts
- Word Bank: Face
- Super Simple Grammar: Simple Present Be
- Word Bank: Feelings
- Super Simple Questions: How Are You?
- Super Simple Grammar: Simple Present Have
- Word Bank: Family
- Super Simple Grammar: Simple Present
- Super Simple Questions: What’s Your Name?
- Super Simple Questions: Where Are You From?
- English Basics: The Numbers 0–10
- Word Bank: Telling Time
- English Basics: The Numbers 10–20
- Word Bank: House
- Word Bank: Prepositions
- English Basics: The Numbers 20–30
- Super Simple Questions: How Old Are You?
- English Basics: The Numbers 0–100
- English Basics: Money
- Word Bank: City
- Word Bank: Transportation
- English Foundations: The Date
- Super Simple Questions: What Day Is It?
- Word Bank: Weather & Seasons
- Word Bank: Computers